When looking up the word “brand” in the Merriam-Webster dictionary, you’ll find eight definitions – in the marketing world, brand holds one meaning. A client’s brand is the foundation of all projects, designs and messaging developed in-house. But, what about personal brands? That’s right, PEOPLE have brands, too.
We’re not talking Kylie Jenner’s line of Kylie Cosmetics, we’re talking a public image, reputation and/or identity of oneself. Think about it... politicians, professional athletes and Hollywood stars have brands... so, why don’t you?
Here are our top 5 tips for building your personal brand:
Invest in Yourself
Investing in yourself doesn’t always mean spending money. Take time for yourself and:
- Set goals!
- Attend classes and seminars!
- Invest time in YOUR creativity!
Know What You Stand For
In a world constantly telling us what to believe, decide what YOU believe in and why. Start by asking yourself these questions:
- What are you willing to give it all up for?
- Where does your courage come from?
- What does your heart say?
Deliver Your Best Work
Every. Single. Time. How? Follow these simple tips:
- Keep your work organized
- Assign yourself deadlines (and meet them)
- Review your work
Consistency is key. By being consistent, you’ll build relationships with people that will speak highly of you to others, leading to more work or friendships! Here’s how:
- Don’t just walk the walk – talk the talk!
- Make promises you can keep
- Set realistic goals
Step Outside of Your Comfort Zone
Say YES before saying no. Big things can come out of stepping outside of your comfort zone. Do this by:
- Try new things (food, clothes, experiences – you never know what will open up your creativity, help you become confident or create new relationships)
- Volunteer for experiences
- Set a goal to try 1-2 new experiences per month (or week if you’re up to it!)